Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Laissez-faire Lettuce



Because I got all scattered during the holidays, I didn't really keep up with our first vegetable garden. I didn't even water it. I did give it a quick glance when I let the dog out back and was satisfied because I could see green leaves sticking up, so I figured it wasn't dead. A couple of days ago, after Kurt and I had spent 2 days straight in our pajamas not ever leaving the house--vacation!--I threw on my coat and headed out back for a garden assessment.

To my surprise and delight, the lettuce plants were HUGE and healthy! I cut them all down to a couple of inches and watered the whole bed in anticipation of the below-30-degree night. Then we ate an enormous, tasty salad of our beautiful red leaf lettuce, "red sails" variety. It may sound corny, but it was just so cool to eat food that we had grown all by ourselves! I apologize for the slightly blurry photo (note the empty margarita glass in the background.)

Today I finally had to get out of my pajamas and out of the house. Vacation's over! Happy 2008!

No comments: