Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Odds and ends



No, the painters didn't come today after all, so color on our house will have to wait until next week. It’s a good thing we like Caesar salads, because my romaine remains profuse. Kurt created some supports to make it easier for me to cover the vegetables on freezing nights. If only the local forecasters would make it easier for me to know when to cover the vegetables.



We just ate all the beets and lots of the carrots, so today I weeded the beet bed and shall sow some arugula seeds there, next to the new spinach. I’m not sure if it’s too late in the season to start from seed, but our weather’s so unpredictable, I’m trying it.



It seems a little weird that I’m watering our 65-year-old Sycamore tree right now, but this year’s continuing drought is more than a little weird, too. Tomorrow, I’ll give my front yard xeric plants their last supplemental water of the year. Apparently 2008 was the fourth driest year in Austin’s recorded history. Cheers!

2 comments:

Rock rose said...

Looks like you had a nice crop of fall vegs. We are eating napa cabbage every which way. I plant to start some more seeds but will probably do it inside for now.

TexasDeb said...

Good luck with your arugula, Iris! I think with some supplemental watering it will do fine. With our wacky weather however there's no telling til you get the leaves in the bowl.

Have a lovely 2009. Looking forward to watching the color bloom on your house.