Sunday, January 4, 2009

First floret and last carrots

My broccoli is finally producing, well, broccoli. I don’t know the proper term for when a broccoli plant makes florets, but it’s happening now. I was afraid I was just going to have to be grateful for huge leaves, which do at least make for tasty greens. But we’ve had a whole lot of kale lately and need a little break from dark leafy greens.






arugula buddy, I mean pest

I wonder if these last carrots are a little stubby because they were too crowded, but they were delicious anyway.



Another surprise: a crummy nandina was chopped down by the painters (with our blessing), revealing this lovely paint spackle dusted paperwhite narcissus, originally planted more than 19 years ago by a previous occupant.



4 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

The broccoli looks good, Iris - the term I've heard is the word 'head' used as a verb. As in "this variety takes x number of days from sprouting to heading".

I've also got cucumber beetles on the roses. But your rediscovered paperwhites are way ahead of ours!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Iris said...

Thanks for the "heading" term, Annie. You suppose I can just ignore the cucumber beetle as long as I keep an eye out and don't see lots of them?

Rock rose said...

Your arugula buddy is no buddy of mine. Those darned beetles have made lacework out of my napa cabbage How do you keep those vegs so pristine?

Iris said...

I didn't know for sure whether it was a buddy, but I've since learned it's not.

I haven't done anything special: the sorrel and arugula do have more holes than the broccoli and cauliflower so far but not lacework holes. More beginner's luck for now, I guess.

Sorry to hear they're messing up your cabbage!