Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Expanding the veggie gardens



Husband Kurt did yeoman’s work this weekend, doubling the size of one veggie garden by extending the existing beds and adding two more. I moved the flowers from inside to outside the dog fence of the other garden so Kurt could add a bed where the flowers had been.

We still need to fasten down the drip line and build some trellises for tomatoes, but overall, we now have beds waiting for the onion, tomato, cucumber, scallion, and basil seedlings that are currently lining my window sills!

The Statesman's Renee Studebaker used my photo in her blog entry today as an example of the most simple type of raised veggie bed of the three examples she featured.


Still going strong here are arugula, spinach, parsley, and one fennel. Potted dill, cilantro, thyme, basil, and oregano are doing okay, but I'll put the basil in the ground in a few weeks.


Kale, sorrel, and shallots are doing fine here. The tall yellow flowers are broccoli I'm using to attract bees and butterflies until I plant tomatoes in that row. In the very back, you can sort of see the society garlic and calendula I transplanted outside the dog fence.

No comments: