Monday, October 26, 2009

thinned seedlings: first season's salads

Yesterday I was more aggressive about thinning my baby lettuces and beet seedlings and ended up with this season's first salads!


pre-thinning (left side is leftover summer basil)

I reserved the little regular-variety and freckles-variety romaine leaves for husband Kurt's beloved Caesar salad. Separately, I tossed together all the butterhead and leaf lettuces, along with some beet seedlings.





I still need to thin the carrot, cauliflower, and broccoli seedlings. But I can't show you photos of those beds yet because they're too gruesome: I've been slacking in the weeding department. Are they still "seedlings" when they're at least three inches tall? Hmmm.

6 comments:

TexasDeb said...

What great leafy greens you got there!

Hey - if they are plants you scattered seed to grow then it is YOUR call how long you want to call them seedlings. According to the Rule of TD that is.

I now can add "lettuce envy" to my long list of things I covet about your garden. I do have teeniny-winy arugula and cilantro and lettuce coming up (and hopefully not drowning today) but not enough to pass muster in a bowl yet. Maybe garnish a bowl of soup...

Iris said...

Thanks, Deb. Then "seedlings" they still are! My cilantro is currently so puny it couldn't even garnish a bowl of soup. And I forgot to sow any arugula seeds, but I bet I can still do it later this week on a sunnier day. I should have put something in the photo for scale, because the loose leaf lettuce is actually filling up a 2.5-quart casserole dish! Like you, I hope my smaller seedlings aren't getting drowned today.

The nice thing about leafy greens is that it seems like I can just keep sticking more seeds in the ground and have a decent chance of SOMETHING coming up for another month or so. Fingers crossed.

TexasDeb said...

Yay for leafy greens (and a sad very subdued "boo!" for my year of nearly no tomatoes)....

Maybe I'll try some romaine myself then and hope the winter isn't too awful this year. We are DUE a weather break, dontcha agree?

Rock rose said...

Your photos remind me I have a packet of lettuce seeds waiting to go in. Better get them in tomorrow before the next rains. Nice little crop from your lettuce patch.

LindaCTG said...

Love that salad idea! I always grow Speckles & Freckles. I planted a little late this year, but I'll be doing some thinning soon too, and keep your Caesar salad in mind.

Iris said...

Jenny--thank! I've got to thin a few more today. Good luck with your seeds!

Linda--Gotta love those speckles and freckles! I seem to have especially good luck with the romaines. Great CTG today, too!