Tuesday, September 27, 2011

despite drought and heat, some bright spots

Trailing lantana's thriving with a little supplemental water.

It's almost October, but Austin's drought and heat continue to break records. It's difficult not to get discouraged with this continued daily hand watering routine of both drought-tolerant plants--"tolerant", not "impervious"--and vegetable seedlings. I guess I'm just stubborn, but I keep plugging away. Small successes go a long way at this point.

Added some mulch to the Blackfoot Daisies, salvias, and a newly planted agapanthus.

Mexican feathergrass, purple fountain grass, and white ruellia are super troopers.

Two weeks ago we revived our raised beds with more homemade compost, and I planted green bean, cauliflower, broccoli, beet, carrot, snowpea, kale, chard, parsley, and cabbage seeds. I've been watering them around three times a day, and all are now seedlings, which I'll thin this weekend. Last week I planted potatoes, too. I'm holding off on seeding lettuces, dill, and cilantro until it's consistently cooler. If it ever does become consistently cooler...

The "Contender" bush bean (far left) seeds I planted two weeks ago have grown quickly.

red winter and dinosaur kale seedlings

Time to go water the seedlings again. 

4 comments:

renees said...

Those seedlings look great! Handwatering is a pain, but you're going to have some great homegrown organic vegetables this fall. Well done!

Iris said...

Renees--Thank you! Can't rest on my laurels yet, though :)

Rock rose said...

I'm impressed with the fact that you have planted seeds successfully. I planted some beans and none came up. I just can't get the water to stay in the soil even though I add compost by the bucket load. I think you are going to have to keep up that watering for a while.

Iris said...

Lancashire rose--Thanks, and I'm sorry yours didn't come up. I'm definitely going to have to continue daily watering for awhile. What a pain, I have to admit!