Monday, December 3, 2007

Urban Vegetable Garden: Spots on Broccoli Leaves and an Indie Rock Band?



The lettuce and cauliflower appear to be happy, growing bigger and showing no discoloration or droopiness. The broccoli seems medium-happy, in that it continues to grow; however, one leaf on each plant has yellow-ish spots.

Because I'm brand new to this, I don't know if the spots are any big deal or not. The information I've found so far indicates the spots might be a common fungus called downy mildew. I remember a band in the '80s from Downey, California named Downey Mildew. They had one good song.

I'm having a hard time finding information on how to get rid of this downy mildew on my broccoli plants, so for now I'm just going to cut those leaves off and see what happens. Not the most scientific approach, I guess.

No comments: