Thursday, May 1, 2008

Our front-yard garden: the bigger picture

I was inspired by Pam's FAR more put-together front-yard garden. (I didn't even know other people used that term for tearing up one's conventional sod and converting it.) Since I've taken plenty of closeup photos of individual plants, I decided to follow her lead and show a few bigger pics that show a little more context--check out the "before" pic at bottom. Because my front yard garden is very wide & medium-shallow (72' X 22'), it's difficult to get a true picture, but I tried. (I'm working on getting a new camera, too.)












And here's the "before" picture from 2002-ish (taken from almost the same viewpoint as the very first picture posted):

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out, SG. I like what you've done with your front-yard garden too. The street-side view is particularly nice, giving your home privacy but not shutting it off from the street. I'm glad you showed the "before" photo too. Look how much you've done!

Iris said...

Thanks!
We've worked really hard as do-it-your-selfers--plus we're kind of cheap sometimes--for several years to get it to this point without using any chemicals at all. It's still a work in progress, but at least it's established enough now that we can play around with adding/subtracting things, etc--very exciting! (Weeding nutgrass will never be too exciting...)

Iris said...

My neighbor moved her car, so I was able to take two more photos from across the street, which I think add a bit more context.

vertie said...

I love the yard. You really have been working hard. I really think how the Mexican feather grass is waving at the top photo.

Iris said...

Thanks, Vertie!!